Red beans and rice. Sautéed in aromatic spices alongside bell peppers and celery, this red beans makes for a mouth watering match with humble rice. A delicious way to eat healthy!
It’s high time the humble red beans got a makeover, what do you think? This healthy legume is, undoubtedly, a pantry staple that pairs effortlessly well with rice to create the healthiest weeknight meal in minutes.
Start with cooking the rice. The easiest method is cooking rice in plenty of water and then drain to create tender, fluffy grains. While the rice is cooking, cook beans.
Heat a little oil, fry bay leaves, and then sauté onions until soft and translucent. After sauteeing a couple of garlic cloves, stir in the veggies. Of course, the addition of extra veggies make them super nutritious and delicious. Add bell peppers and celery, and sauté them until tender.
Now, you’ll need to add in a few spices like ground cumin, paprika and dried oregano. Stir in tomato paste, and give it a quick stir fry. Add beans, cooked rice and coriander leaves. A quick stir fry, and you’re done!
I really love this quick, easy and highly nutritious weeknight meal idea!
- 2 cups rice (basmati rice or long grain rice)
- Salt to taste
Cook red beans:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (capsicum), chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (cumin powder)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 g canned red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Rinse rice under cold running water. Add rice to a large pot alongside 8 cups water. Season with salt.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until tender. Check the package instructions for cooking time.
- Drain the cooked rice. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bay leaf and sauté for a minute.
- Add onions. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until soft and translucent.Add garlic. Sauté, stirring, for a minute or until fragrant.
- Add ground cumin, paprika and dried oregano. Sauté, stirring, for about 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add tomato paste, and stir fry for a minute.
- Add red beans and coriander (cilantro) leaves.
- Stir to combine. Heat through.
- Serve with rice.
Cook red beans:
- Substitute red beans with your favorite beans
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 191mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 9gSugar 3gProtein 12g