French onion rice. A dinner star featuring fluffy rice interlaced with crispy caramelized onions.
Do you love the classic French onion soup? Well, today’s recipe is inspired by this popular comfort soup. The basic idea is to infuse your favorite rice with these delicious classic flavors.
Start with making caramelized onions which is obviously the base of this recipe. All you need to do is heat up a little butter, and fry the onions until they are caramelized or turns golden. Make sure the onions are sliced evenly so they’ll get that beautiful golden hue instead of charred bits. Apart from the golden color, these onions will also turn super crispy.
The second step is cooking the rice. Heat up a little butter in the same pan, and sauté the garlic. Add in thyme and stock. Season with salt and pepper. The stock is loaded with a generous amount of salt, so make sure you add more salt only if it’s needed. Bring this mixture to a boil. Then add in rinsed rice.
Again, I have used basmati rice in this recipe. However, you can make this French onion rice with whatever kind of rice you have on hand. Long grain rice is a great option.
Finally, toss the crispy onions through the rice.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large yellow onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (garlic paste)
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth (vegetable stock)
- 2 cups rice (long grain rice or basmati rice), rinsed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add butter and oil.
- Add onions, sauté 15-20 minutes or until caramelized. Remove from heat.
- To the same pan, add butter.
- Add garlic. Sauté, stirring, for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add thyme and vegetable broth (stock). Bring to a boil.
- Add rice. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes. (Don’t forget to check the packet instructions for cooking time)
- Cook until rice is tender, and stock (broth) is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in fried onions.
Amount Per Serving Calories 498Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 67mgSodium 1334mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 12g