Eggplant pizza. For a healthy, low-carb take on your favorite pizza, try this simple recipe featuring eggplants. Adorned with lip-smacking toppings, this pizza is super easy to make and delicious. Guaranteed to become your new favorite way to enjoy pizza!
Making this pizza is a no-brainer. As the base is all about eggplants, you don’t even need to think about kneading the dough, and making the perfect base. The basic idea of this vegetable based pizza is creating a base that’s low-carb and loaded with nutrition. Obviously, the right way to go healthy.
To make this eggplant pizza, you’ll need to slice the eggplants into thin rounds. Make sure the slices are even. Sprinkle the slices with plenty of salt, and allow them to sweat for about 20 minutes. Now, use a paper towel to wipe off the excess moisture and salt. You can also rinse them under running water and then dry with paper towel.
Now, arrange all the slices on a baking tray in a single layer. Transfer the tray to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. Once the eggplants are cooked through, you’ll need to add the toppings. I’ve opted for pizza sauce, plenty of parmesan and a light sprinkle of dried oregano. Perfect!
Bake this for another 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. I like to top eggplant pizza with beautiful chopped basil leaves. The perfect combination of flavors!
- 2 large eggplants (aubergines), cut into 1cm thick round pieces
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Basil leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle sliced eggplants with plenty of salt. Set aside and allow to “sweat” for about 20 minutes.
- Wipe off with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350 F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Top eggplant slices with pizza sauce, parmesan and oregano. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil if you like. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 121Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 7mgSodium 286mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 6gSugar 8gProtein 5g